Police & Fire Commission
Scope of Commission's Authority
The statutory powers, duties, and responsibilities of a Police and Fire Commission are significant. A commission has authority to:
- Appoint, suspend, or remove the chief of the Police Department and the Chief of the Fire Department.
- Approve all appointments made by the Police Chief and Fire Chief, including the promotion of subordinates.
- Approve competitive examinations used to judge suitability for appointment of subordinates.
- Approve each list of individuals determined to be eligible for appointment.
- Suspend the chief of a department or subordinates pending the filing and hearing of charges against them.
- Initiate charges against the chief of a department or any subordinate.
- Hear charges filed against the chief of a department or a subordinate, make findings and determinations, and impose penalties.
- Hear appeals of disciplinary actions initiated by the chief of a department against any subordinate.